Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Bargain!

Shoot, I just wrote a whole post and I somehow made it vanish.

We were discussing whether to build a stub wall or a 9 foot railing between the kitchen and family room. A railing seemed to be the most popular choice so off we went to price it out. Turns out they are not cheap to build. Darn! So we went home empty handed and mulled it over for a few weeks. I checked craigslist and let people know we were looking for spindles. Nothing. Nadda. It was getting to the point in our drywall construction that we needed to know if we were going with a wall or if we were going to suck it up and build a railing. I mentioned it to Loren and he said he saw some spindles out by the road near his house and he would go home and see if they were still there. They were! We checked them out the next day. Hmmm. wouldn't you know it, exactly 9 feet of solid fir spindles!! I scrubeed them off and Morrie cut them so they were all even and now we have the free supplies to build our railing!

I have also spent the last 3 motnhs trying to figure out what to do with the powder room vanity. I was advised to go with a pedestal sink as it is a small room. I wasn't happy with the harware store choices: ugly and around $350 for the cheapest one. So yesterday when I was picking up the handles for the kitchen, they had 2 pedestal sinks that were display models on sale. I thought it over for all of 20 minutes and went back and declared this one ours! Turns out it is a $725 sink, that we purchased for $200!! Annie even approves.

1 comment:

Atticelf said...

Wow, are you Queen o' Deals, or what? Nice job!