Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Guest Blogger: Maria, age 11

Disgusting, Crude and Offensive



"Long Division". The words rolled off my tongue in the most unsatisfying way. They came with a stench, with a smell so vile that no smell...not even burning sulfur...could be worse. I had never been a big fan of math: addition, subtraction, and multiplication were all on my Top Ten Most Hated Words List. But long division was now #1. I became more and more frustrated with each digit.



"It's so easy! So Simple" people would say patiently, but with a hint of annoyance in their voices.



"Yeah...says YOU!" I would retort. The numbers always got mixed up. Was it 27 divided by 325, or 32 divided by 275, or 25 divided by 572, or...



Long division spells trouble. "Hey! let me help you get an F in math!" the words seemed to say. If only this was a nightmare, if only I was in kindergarten happily playing house with my friends, and if only I could wake up screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!". If only I wasn't in fifth grade math.



Besides me, everyone had moved on to the challenge work. "Oh my gosh, I am so far behind!" I thought, perspiration dripping down the side of my face. I'm going to FAIL! The thought sent my head spinning.



"Get you head in the game kid!" You can do better than this! Go, go GO!" I whispered as I pictured a mini drill sergeant in my head. Okay...the problem is 325 divided by 27...I think. I chewed my pencil eraser nervously. What am I going to do? I glanced down at my division card with the steps on it.



Alright, let's try this again. Wait a minute, add the 27, write the one, subtract 27, multiply, subtract, add...By Jove I've GOT IT! Twelve, remainder 1! The long awaited LONG DIVISION BREAK THROUGH has happened at last! The rest of the work sheet was easy-breezy-lemon-squeezy-mac-n-cheesy. I glided through the challenge work like a figure skater and I wasn't the last one to turn it in! I am so glad I finally had my LONG DIVISION BREAK THROUGH!



Now long division doesn't bother me that much. I plow through the homework like a pair of oxen, and sometimes my friends even call me for help! But in the beginning I struggled a lot, and it didn't make any sense. So I talked to my AMAZING teachers, and with their help it became as clear as white on rice. Now all I have to say is "Thank you so much!".

2 comments:

Loren said...

While impressed and thrilled with your math breakthrough, I may be more impressed with your writing! Well done!

Anonymous said...

*resounding applause*

If you ever have a hard time with long division again the best way to get through it is by playing Kinect Adventures at my house. Trust me, I used to be a teacher.