Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day trip with the Teenager

I took Isabelle down south a few hours for a soccer game this weekend. She was kind enough to create her own CD mix for our listening pleasure. A little Shakirah (Gypsy), Christina Perry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_4O44sfjM), BoB (Magic) and Lady GaGa (Telephone). Just the tunes I was going to put together to drive in the relentless rain and fog.

No really, it was fine.

I felt like a morose teenager only minutes after we left the driveway.

We eventually made it- after playing the License Plate game (I was pretending she was 7 again) and we found 14 states and 2 provinces. I think we rocked it. Then we went and got coffee (she was back to being a teenager again).


Remember the "Knee in the Butt" move that Maria was doing? I think I know where she learned it.

The game was cold, misty and foggy. It was a brutal match-up. Although we couldn't quite match the talking back that the other team did, I was okay with that. Everything else was pretty even. Hence the 0 to 0 final score.

Isabelle got to play the whole game as left back. We started out with 2 subs and dwindled to 1 by the end. The other team had 7 subs. I think on a normal full strength day, we could take them (I sort of already know this as we have beaten them twice this year).
On the way home Isabelle wanted to share with me this "Moral Dilemma" thing they were discussing in her Social Justice class. I am all for learning, so I said Bring it! She tells me that 2 kids are going to play a joke on their dad and hide in a closet when he doesn't expect them to be home. Dad returns home, hears a noise, gets his gun opens the closet and shoots, killing one of the kids. What kind of charge do you think he should have for an accidental shooting?
Uh...
Umm...
Could we...
Maybe...
Go back to playing the license plate game????

Who is up for Freeway Bingo???
After I carefully navigated THAT conversation and turned up her CD really loud so we couldn't talk anymore, and we eventually made it home.

Oh yay. The kitchen table is back to being a magnet for everyone's unclaimed personal items. My own Moral Dilemma of sorts. Burn their things so our house is clean, or start duck taping their stuff to their body so they can't leave it anywhere. Welcome Home?

No comments: