Sunday, July 4, 2010

Birthday Girl!

I can't believe Isabelle had the audacity to turn 13! It totally stinks that my baby is getting so old. I had to go into her room this weekend (which I don't usually subject myself to) because I was missing a comb, a brush, lots of my ankle socks, a camisole, several water bottles, hair ties, an ice pack... the list goes on. I did find everything though...eventually. I guess this is what it means to have a teenager. Here she is on her birthday, with her most favorite June comrade, Kiana.
They met when they were 3 months old. I remember the day Julie emailed saying she was going into labor. She apologized to me. Leaving me high and dry with no labor in sight. I was already 7 days overdue when I read that email, and I was pretty sure I just had a swollen belly from eating too much. Fifty pounds too much. Thankfully Isabelle was born 2 days later- needing a medical induction - she was content to stay where she was.
Here she is all these years later. We honestly had a pretty difficulty time arranging a time to celebrate with my family. Between the 2 families, we have 5 June birthdays and 5 family calendars to contend with. This party occurred right after Isabelle had a 2 hour soccer practice and we are blowing out candles at 9:00pm.

However, we were all together, and that is what matters, especially when we can get the 19 year old to work it into her calendar as well. All the kids love Sam and when I say "love", I mean idolize and worship.
Isabelle and Sam lead the group of 8 (almost 9) grandkids, and are the only 2 that look sooo much like one another. I think one of the reasons Sam was born was to help Isabelle along in life. Isabelle doesn't feel out of place being the only redhead in her class, or on her team, because Sam has carried a confident attitude her whole life. When Isabelle started a new school in 2nd grade, Sam walked her to her class, held her hand and checked in with her all day long. Youth group is cool to Isabelle because she has watched Sam be a huge participant in it for 6 years.
Every year that Isabelle gets older, I think of Sam when she was that age, and if I think Sam's years have flown by, I am afraid that Isabelle's will go all to quickly as well. Can I just put them in my pocket and carry them around with me as they are right now? I made Isabelle a 10 minute video for her birthday that encompasses everything she did during her 12th year. Maybe I made it more for myself, as I have watched 5 times this week alone. That's okay. It's my way of honoring her, and perhaps keeping her 12 for a bit longer.

3 comments:

Atticelf said...

* LIKE *

Anonymous said...

I love the story of Kiana and Isabelle's friendship! And I can't believe how old your kids are! Are those crow's feet I'm seeing around her eyes?

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site mysoccerhabit.blogspot.com
Is this possible?