Thursday, February 5, 2009

Job Update!

I do in fact have a new job. My assigment at Nintendo ended, and I have less than 2 weeks left at the Heathman in Kirkland. Today - if there are any clients!- I start at Frenchy's Day Spa in Madison Park and I am really excited. There are so many people that work there, I think it wil take weeks for me to get their names staright. Luckily, they are not massage therapists, they have lots of receptionists, and loads of nail ladies. When I was in yesterday a woman was setting up a party for 20 pedicures and manucures - this place is hoppin'!

On a side note, my kids are amazing, but you probably already knew that. The other day we were looking at someone's doormat - it had a big "M" on it. I told the girls we should have it at our house. Maria then said "I don't think our stoop is big enough Mom". Stoop? This kid has got vocabulary!

Time for Isabelle news: She had a school project where they had to give a speech about the history of something and make a visual aid board thing to go with it. She said some kids were doing popcorn, sugar, chocolate...I then asked her what her topic would be. She says "I am doing the Shirt Waist Movement. I read about it in one of my books!". What? Who? Come to find out the Shirt Wasit Movement (warning: history lesson follows) describes the time between 1909-1911 when young women and girls were working in shirt wasit factories (the type of blouse women wore) in poor working conditions and they formed a union and went on stirke for 14 weeks and improved their jobs! They ended up forming one of the largest workers unions in the U.S. Dude, she should get an "A" just for coming up with that topic!

Now that I have bragged about them as individuals, I will brag about them together. As Morrie took a nap last Saturday the girls went outside and pretty soon asked for some wood. He told them where to find some and a few hours later they had built a frame for a greenhouse and wanted some clear tarp to finish it. It's maybe 5 feet by 4 feet - something they can actually use. We were amazed that the wood lengths are all the same so it's not off kilter, and just the fact that they did it blew me away. Morrie did not help at all - he was determined to let them have this moment for themselves. I hope they are proud of themselves, because we sure are!

2 comments:

Atticelf said...

No way! That is awesome! I'm sending my kids over so some of that independent thinking will rub off on them. Be listening for the doorbell...

mrsmouthy said...

Your kids aren't that smart. They asked for a CLEAR tarp to make a GREEN house!!

Now I'm off to teach Vincenzo the word "stoop" just to make Maria look bad. Because he's only 3.