Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Inches and FEET

So while Maria was out for a swimming event (4th day in a row mind you), Isabelle and I went to the mall. I wanted to hit a sale that I had heard about and Isabelle needed her feet measured. Last week DURING soccer practice, her show wore out and fell apart. She spent the second half of practice with the sole flopping all over. Anyway, Morrie wanted to order her new shoes but I insisted she get measured first. She had been wearing 4.5 and had 2 pairs that were 5's (they probably ran small or something).]

We went to the kids department, they have shoes that go up to a 5, and I knew she was sort of between kids and womens (read: very few choices to try on!). She placed her foot on the measuring device, and her toes sort of went all the way to the other end. Hmmm...the salesman went and got the womens foot measuring thing and low and behold, she is measuring at a womens 7!! How did that happen???

We spent the next hour getting her a pair of tennis shoes - size 7.5 (which when laying on the floor at home Morrie thought were mine) and a pair of flip flops. Two pairs of shoes is plenty, yes? Morrie said that when he was in the 6th grade (which Isabelle is going into) he wore a size 6 in the fall and over the winter complained that his shoes were too small. When he finally was allowed to get new ones in the spring, he wore an 8.5! I guess I'll be paying more attention to Maria's feet as she gets older.

Sitting in the shoe department as Isabelle's foot hit that 7 mark, she and I just stared at eachother with our mouths open. We both thought it was funny. I was thinking of all the mom's who have told me the same story over the past 2 years with their kids and I couldn't believe I was one of those mom's now too. It had happened to us!! Funny stuff. Isabelle is soo happy. She know that when your feet grow, you get taller too. She had told me in the spring that she hoped to grow over the summer. I reassured her that she is always growing, and would of course grow this summer. She said she knew that, but she was hoping she would grow and nobody else in her class would grow!! Oh, I get it now! By the way, we determined that her soccer shoes did not wear out, her feet exploded out of them!!

No comments: