Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Where did Summer go? Where did my babies go?


Now don't get me wrong, I looove summer. I actually would prefer to live somewhere that has a low temperature of 60 degrees. I love wearing tank tops, eating popsicles and jumping in the lake because it's so darn hot.


BUT...September rolls around, the school supplies get sorted, the uniforms get ironed and the kids go off to school. I start thinking about the leaves changing colors, a nice warm fire in the wood stove, backpacks laying on the floor with art projects spilling out of them. I love it! I love the decorations for Halloween, and then we're busy checking things off Maria's birthday list, and before you know it we are hearing Christmas carols and sitting around a table with 14 family members.


I think this year our family has a lot to be thankful for come Thanksgiving and Christmas. We had probably the Worst Christmas Ever last year - 10 people with the flu by December 26th and most of January spent in Vermont helping my brother recover from lung surgery due to the flu- and I know for sure that it's not going to take too much for me to be pleased with the holiday season this year. A little smile here, a little trinket there. A little ham dinner here, and a little twice baked potato there. A little holiday music here and a new christmas ornament there. Yup, it's going to be pretty great this year.


Oh, and there is a new baby on the way over in Michigan, which we are all very excited about. I think nothing makes me happier than shopping for squishy soft stuffed animals,teeny tiny sleepers with wee little snaps, board books and baby cards. Sigh...


Where did my babies go??


Hello?? Are you there??


Sigh...


Nope, they have gone.


Now I have big girls. We talk about deoderant, nail polish, texting, Lady Gaga, good sportsmanship, and lots of other big words that make me all sad for the days when "spaghetti" and "toothpaste" were hard to say.


Summer is coming to an end, and my youngest is going to be Double Ones this fall. That's ELEVEN for those of you that don't remember how cool it is to be Double Ones. Sigh...I got dangley earrings and a boom box when I turned 11. It was awesome. I also got a Billy Ocean tape. After listening to it 653 times, it wasn't so awesome anymore.


Does anyone else wonder how a post about fall turned into me missing my babies? I want them 2 and 4 years old and in my pocket so I can carry them around with me wherever I go. I have to go look at some pictures now.


And then crawl under my blankets and cry a little.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss your lil ones too. But boy do they look like they are growing into sweet young ladies!

Atticelf said...

You'll be saying this in 10 more years too. :)