Monday, May 31, 2010

Isabelle: Historian

Seventh grade at our school means one thing: Cultural Fair. It is a project that takes months to complete.The kids research a family member and write an 8 page essay, create a presentation and visual aid, get interviewed by their teacher at the presentation and give their "talk" to everyone who comes by during a 6 hour period! Isabelle researched my dad's mom who began her teaching career as the Great Depression began. Isabelle talked about the struggles of Grandma's life and the struggles of America during that time.

Here she is talking to some first graders and making sure she doesn't say anything too confusing for their little brains. See the quilt on the table? My Grandma sewed that for me when I was three. She made most of her clothing at that time and used the scraps to make the quilt. I love looking at the crazy polyester patterns and imagining them as her pants!


Morrie and I both stopped by, as did my parents and my sister. We also had a very good friend stop by who knew my Grandma. Bernice is the local librarian so many of the 7th graders knew her as well, but she is really a part of our family- so we have dibs! Isabelle gives her presentation to Bernice and then Bernice pulls something out of her bag. She tells Isabelle that Grandma gave Bernice this candlestick holder years ago and Bernice wants Isabelle to have it. Grandma bought it on one of her travels to Isreal. I was a big boo-hooing mess that day.
First of all- when did Isabelle get old enough to be a part of Cultural Fair? Secondly- I miss my Grandma- she passed away at 90 years old in 2001. I was a big boo-hooing mess then too. She was a fantastic lady. Just ask Isabelle.






2 comments:

Atticelf said...

Okay, she LOOKS like a middle schooler/jr higher in these pictures. Freaking me out...

Anonymous said...

Ah, that's really weird. I forgot I know Bernice and she knows you too and all that!