Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Happiest Place on Earth

I frequently mention to people that I believe the happiest place on earth is Quest Field. Maria and I went to the home opener in March- where we got drenched with rain (but loved every minute of the 2-0 win). It was only fitting that we went back and closed out the season together. We have our routine down to a science, what we bring, where we park, how early we arrive, the discussion of the game strategy...

Come with us, we will show you! First we walk to the field and discuss anything unusual about the team we are up against, who we would like to see play, who is on the injured list, and what we expect of the players.


Then we listen to a little live music.

Okay, normally, there is no live music. However since Friday was the last home game, and Fan Appreciation Night, it was a special treat. Normally we get our picture taken at the Pemco photo van. I will have to share those sometime.

We get to our seats and watch them hose down the turf. If the turf is too hot, or too dry, it becomes sticky. We don't want it to be sticky because it causes trouble for the players. Especially those with mad foot skills- like our left wing, Steve Zakuani.


Then we watch Terry Boss -the back up goalie- warm up. Then Keller comes out and warms up- I love to watch him jump up and punch the ball out of the box.


Then we watch the other players come out and warm up and see who is starting and discuss the 5 players that are on the bench and who will most likely be 1 of the 3 subs that the coach will make. Then I sum up our decision with the head coach, Sigi Schmid, and then I offer the players post game massages.
No I don't. That would be akward. I don't want to assume I know more than Sigi- I let him make his own decisions.

This picture shows the Golden Scarf Ceremony. One person who has contributed or made a big impact on the local soccer community is honored at each game with a Golden Sounders Scarf. The person who received it on Friday was Hope Solo. Maria was so excited!
Hope Solo is from Kirkland, and won an Olympic Gold medal, and is the best keeper in the WPS. Instead of the General Manager giving her the scarf, Jhon Kennedy Hurtado presented it. He is one of our favorite players who sadly tore his ACL 2 months ago. We haven't seen him since, so it was awesome to see him walking around. (and we make fun of the white pants that the 2 girls wear who carry the Golden Scarf up to the stage).
Then, up in the rafters they unveiled the new "2010 Open Cup Champions" banner, and the 2 Open Cup trophies that the club has were on display. Suuuuupppper cool for this soccer nerd.


We began my favorite cheer- where all 36,000 fans clap together as the teams walk in. It is astonishingly loud and I loooove it!



Someone else I know loves it too.

Then fireworks go off because it is the happiest place on earth and my heart swells and another game kicks off.


...sigh...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think, that you are not right. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.