Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas Parties

We had two big parties to attend this year. The first required me to buy a new dress. I am not sure there is anything I hate more than shopping for a dress. Hence the reason I don't really have any. I had already attended 2 recent events where I should have bought a dress, and didn't, and ended up feeling a little less than spectacular.

Although I was dressed up for these previous events, I felt like I was wearing old sweats and a coffee stained hoodie when I stood next to my friends. I really didn't want to go through that again.

So I did what any normal mom would do. I went shopping and when I was down to 2 dresses...let's be honest, I could only find 2 dresses that even remotely fit and didn't look like I had on a sausage casing...I took some quick pictures with my phone and texted them to Isabelle. She and Maria then made the call on which dress was best. I can't be trusted with these types of things.

I think wearing flannel pants and an old t-shirt of Morrie's looks best.

There was extra pressure for this event- I can't believe I almost forgot to tell you! This same party last year is the one where I sat at an 8 person table with Kasey Keller, his wife, Adrian (General manager of the Sounders), and Morrie's cousins. It was awesome. It would have been even more awesome if I hadn't felt like a slob in my 10 year old skirt and lame sweater.

So this is what came together for this year's party.


Just when I was feeling it, Maria snapped this photo of Morrie and I. Hmmm...why do I look like some Amazonian woman here? Seriously- could my head be any bigger? I look like a cartoon character next to my cute husband.





Okay, it's too late to change. We will have to make the best of it.




We went to the party. The decor was superb, the food -from what I was told- was fantastic. We looked. We peered. We craned our necks. For over 3 hours, we didn't see Kasey Keller anywhere! We had told the girls we wouldn't be out late and before we knew it, it was time to go.


Heavy sigh.


We had great company, but no Kasey. We picked up the car from the valet and our night of fancy hob-knobbing was over. As we drove away, I kicked off my shoes, and maybe was a teeny tiny bit sad we didn't see him.


Ten minutes later, we were texted. Kasey had just arrived at the party.


DANG-IT! We kept on driving, because even though we didn't get to see him, we spent a great evening with family. We got to see one another dressed up- which we don't usually see- and had actual conversations without any children interrupting. I guess that's what the holidays are really about...


but I still wished we would have chatted with Kasey!


DANG-IT! I'm not over it yet.




A few weeks later we dressed up in a different kind of way. This involved fleece, lots of down, and many layers. I was very happy with this.


Morrie and Maria prepared for their first snowboarding lesson.


One of them is super stoked. The other is perhaps more worried about long term injuries and hazardous terrain.


Isabelle and I preferred to spend some quality time at the hot chocolate bar.





A what? Yes, a hot chocolate bar. With whipped cream, candies, mints, sauces, marshmellows, peppermint, sprinkles and more. It was delightful.



We did eventually make our way out to watch the snowboarders. Even though Isabelle is wearing 2 coats and a hat, she was still cold. I reminded her that we were actually in the mountains. I know we haven't hung out there a lot, but it is known for being a little more chilly than the city.



Her hands were so cold, she almost couldn't text.


Almost.


Luckily she came through okay and was able to keep her friends updated by the moment. It was a close one though.


Our 2 snowboarders survived the evening with smiles and we trudged back to the car with all of our gear. The kids fell asleep on the way home as we headed back to the lowlands.


Am I glad I wore a new dress? Yes. Am I more comfortable in layers of cotton, fleece, down and more down? Most definitely.


No comments: